Spay and Neuter Discharge Instructions
- FOOD AND WATER: Once getting home offer a normal amount of water. The anesthesia your pet had today can cause some stomach upset so it is best to not offer food until 2-3 hours after getting home. Offer a small amount of food. Your pet may not want to eat the night after surgery and this is okay. They should start eating again by the day after surgery.
- ACTIVITY: Activity needs to be restricted until the incision is healed. For dogs: leash walk outside to go to the bathroom, no chasing balls / toys, no playing with other dogs and no jumping off and on beds or furniture. It is best to leave them inside until the incision is healed. For cats, try to leave in a more confined space and limit jumping. It is best for them to be left inside until the incision is healed.
- PAIN MEDICINE: Your pet has been sent home with pain medication. The most common side effects with pain medication are vomiting or diarrhea. In cats, a more serious side effect can be kidney failure. Make sure your cat is eating and drinking when you give the pain medication. DO NOT GIVE ANY OVER THE COUNTER MEDICATIONS SUCH AS TYLENOL, ADVIL, OR ASPIRIN – THESE MEDICATIONS CAN BE TOXIC AND DEADLY TO YOUR PET.
- PAIN: Your pet may be groggy or sleepy tonight and this is normal. Your pet may be uncomfortable and not as active for the first few days after surgery. The night after surgery it is best to leave your pet in a quiet confined area and let them rest. Your pet should return to normal activity by one week. If your pet is crying out or cannot get comfortable, please contact the office at the above number.
- INCISION CARE – Check the incision each day. A small amount of redness and swelling is normal. If the incision is very reddened, appears to be opening, or you are seeing discharge, contact the office right away. Your pet must not lick or chew at the incision – we recommend an E-collar at all times to prevent licking and chewing. There are stitches underneath the skin, but you will not see any stitches on the outside of the skin. The incision should be healed in 7-10 days after surgery. NO BATHS OR GROOMING UNTIL AFTER THE INCISION IS HEALED.
IF YOU HAVE ANY CONCERNS, PLEASE CONTACT THE OFFICE AT 770-485-1536 AND WE CAN SCHEDULE A RECHECK REGARDING THE SURGICAL PROCEDURE. IF IT IS AFTER OFFICE HOURS, PLEASE CONTACT COBB EMERGENCY VET AT 770-424-9157.